- The shipyards at Alang recycle approximately half of all ships salvaged around the world.
- Alang is located on the western coast of Gulf of Cambay near Alang-Sosiya Village.
- It is located approximately 50 KMS. from Bhavnagar, on the Veraval State Highway
- The area has about 163 ship recycling yards whose area ranges from 1350 sq.mts. to 3600 sq. mts.
- There are 10 ship-recycling yards for VLCC having an area of 5800 sq. mts. each.
- Its nearest airport is Bhavnagar (BHU)
- Alang port is covered under the extended port limit of Talaja Port, as per Government of Gujarat, Ports & Fisheries Dept. Notification dated 8/9/1995
- Out of the 170 functional yards at Alang, at least 100 have the ISO 9,001, 14,001, 18,001, with at least 50 yards holding the fourth additional certification of ISO 30,000.
- By arming themselves with ISO, the Indian yards are fully capable of green ship recycling. The Gujarat Maritime Board has invested millions of rupees to create facilities for the safe disposal of hazardous wastes generated from recycling activities.
- In an average year, Alang recycles about 500 ships, with annual sales turnover from this activity hitting a whopping $1.3bn. At full operating capacity, this industry both directly and indirectly employs more than 200,000 workers.